Choosing The Right Pediatric Dentist For Your Child
Whether your child is just sprouting their very first tooth, or already has a perfect pearly smile in place, ensuring that they receive regular check-ups with a paediatric dentist should be a priority. The American Academy of Pediatric Dentistry recommends that your child should make their first visit to a dentist when their first tooth comes in or by their first birthday, and this will help them to view dental check-ups with ease. However, by far the biggest step that you can take to help your child feel comfortable and happy about dental treatment is to find an awesome pediatric dentist.
How is a pediatric dentist different from a regular dentist?
Pediatric dentists have fulfilled two to three years of additional training beyond conventional dental school. This supplementary education includes aspects of child growth, development and psychology, giving them a much better understanding of the type of service that your child needs.
Almost all pediatric dentist offices are also extremely child-friendly. Bright colors, welcoming and friendly staff, and a wide range of toys and activities help your child feel safe, comfortable and well cared for when they visit. They may also use tools such as character chairs, toothbrushes and stickers, sunglasses to shield their eyes from the bright lights used during an examination, and music or cartoons to help distract the child and make the experience an enjoyable one.
If you have a child with additional or complex needs, then it may also be possible to find a pediatric dentist with qualifications and/or experience in providing this type of care.
How can I find a great pediatric dentist in Alexandria VA?
Unfortunately, not all areas have practicing pediatric dentists. However, this doesn’t mean that you can’t still find a dentist with the temperament and understanding to provide excellent dental care for your children.
When looking for a dentist, you should:
- Ask friends and family in your area for personal recommendations
- Ask your paediatrician for a referral
- Ask your doctor or local medical center for a recommendation
- Check out the directory on the American Academy of Pediatric Dentistry (AAPD) website
Once you find a potential Alexandria dentist, spend a little bit of time asking them about their education, training and experience, and any special provisions that they have for children (toys in the waiting room etc). You can also request a visit to their practise so that you can meet the team and see the facilities for yourself.
What services will a pediatric dentist provide?
A pediatric dentist will help to look after your child’s teeth by:
- Undertaking oral examinations and identifying any problems
- Repair cavities or other defects
- Manage and work to prevent gum diseases
- Advise parents how to deal with habits such as thumb sucking, teeth grinding or prolonged pacifier use
- Assess tooth development
- Provide advice regarding orthodontic treatment to straighten teeth or correct improper bite
- Help educate your child on the importance of a good, daily dental care routine
- Educate your child on the effect of diet and drinks on their teeth
- Demonstrate good brushing and flossing techniques
Finding the right pediatric dentist for your child can help to ensure that their teeth remain healthy and strong as they grow, and regular visits for dental check-ups with Alexandria Dentist Dr. Qureshi are as easy as 1, 2, 3.